Saturday, August 19, 2006

Festival for the Hungry Ghost

One of the things I love about Asian culture is festival time. And there are quite a few festivals throughout the year!!! We're currently heading through the 'Hungry Ghost' festival. Have a read about it. Its quite interesting. Lots of pomp and ceremony.

Someone told me the other day that during the festival (which is predominantly for loved ones that have past) there are plays, and opera's and dinners, that are attended by no-one (except the participants). These shows are just put on for the past spirits! I think that's quite cool!!!!

Also, one tradition is to burn paper money, which symbolises you giving the money to your deceased relatives or friends (fake money, but a good gesture). I was also told that you can buy paper Mercedes, paper houses and even paper maids!!!!! Crazy, but true. Photo is the Hungry Ghost offering at Maxwell Food Centre.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Burn money, What the??? Aussie money is plastic these days, so it'll just melt on you. I do have some club exotica notes left over(from a bucks night), so does that mean they'l get a lap dance? :)

mrlederhosen said...

Those ghosts were hungry all right, they made me heave all my food back! THAT is why I got sick next to this festival - the ghosts of Maxwell made me sick.

SR said...

Fake money JJT!!! You think I'd watch em burn real cash?!?!
And Lederhosen...you got sick cos ya ate a fishball laksa within 2hrs of getting off the plane!!! Nothing like a baptism of fire my chum!
Something tells me that it was a Hungry Thai Virus!